Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Regret

I first got ahold of the Butthole Surfers Locust Abortion Technician album around 1988, soon after it came out. It was a cassette actually -- I was 15 and it was my sad, angry, portable medium of choice. The album opens with a rather over-wrought and way too self-satisfiedly ironic dialogue between a supposed father and son in which the son asks "Daddy, what does 'regret' mean?" To which the father answers, "Well, son, a funny thing about regret is...It's better to regret something you *have* done than to regret something you haven't done."

I've treated these words as gospel since then, not that my rather staid life would evidence it. The words often echo in my head as I consider courses of action. Kind of embarrassing, I guess, but there it is. In the back of my mind I always assumed that they were ripping the thought off, that such wisdom couldn't have come straight from a bunch of such fucked-up tards.(warning, that's a video link...but well worth watching!) But it seems it did -- extensive googling points to Gibby and the BS as the source.

I don't have a point, I just have a blog.

Here's the track:
Sweat Loaf

No comments: